- B.A. in Textile Design from Glasgow School of Art
- M.A in Textiles from St. Martin's School of Art, London
- Partner in the successful "Kim & Clark Design" studio for 10 years, selling to major textile manufacturers in London, New York, Paris, Japan, and Italy.
I have created my own unique collection of hand stitched designs, all produced on 100% vintage Scottish woollen blanket material and hand embelished with all wool or cotton.
The collection to date includes:
- Full size wedding and aniversary blankets.
- Cot, pram and christening blankets (cotton backed.)
- Personalised cushions (cotton backed.)
- Personalised name plates, samplers with names, poems, quotes etc. all with quality cotton and wool threads.
- Personalised Christmas Stockings.
My work is authentic and totally unique. All my work is made to last. It can be passed through families, given to friends to mark a special event/occasion, used to celebrate an anniversary, treasured by a loved one forever. A personal message is passed from one to another - my work can be displayed on a bed, used as a cushion / throw or hung on the wall framed or unframed.
Shirley lives in Scotland with her husband Rory, daughter Kitty, and dog "Teddy." She works around family life, and currently tutors at Edinburgh College of Art 2 days a week. Her work is designed to be something that would last forever, and be passed from generation to generation.
For years and years, The Cross has adored the embroidery works of Shirley McLauchlan. From her enchanting baby blankets to her wonderful pillows, Shirley’s pieces are lovable keepsakes that you will cherish for years.
You can find Shirley's work in
- The Cross, London
- Village Life, Denmark
- Pure and General, Australia
and in the homes of
- Emilia Fox, as featured in The Times Magazine (see Below)
- Nicole Kidman
- Baz Luhrmann
- Richard Curtis
- Lady Helen Evans
- Editor of Vogue magazine
- Editor of InStyle magazine
featured in the following magazines
I discovered Shirley McLauchlan’s amazing embroidered designs flipping through Milk - one of my favorite kids' magazines - when I was pregnant with Ripley. I fell in love with her work...It's got a very homemade and crafty vibe, but feels expensive and durable at the same time. Because everything is made to order and custom for your children, it becomes an heirloom.
Jenni Kayne, American Fashion Designer.